Used in Class
Sell or buy 3D models
3D programs recommended for 3D Modeling/Animation and 3D Visual Effect Pipelines
- 30 day free trial of Lightwave 3D v9.6 – http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lwtrial.php
- Blender – http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/
- Autodesk Maya Personal Learning Edition 8.5 – http://download.cnet.com/Autodesk-Maya-Personal-Learning-Edition/3000-6677_4-10721815.html
- Autodesk Mudbox – http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=13565063
- Luxology Modo – http://www.luxology.com/trymodo/
- Zbrush – http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/
- Maxon Cinema4D – http://www.maxon.net/downloads.html
Plugins for 3D Applications
3rd Party Rendering Engines
Ambient Occlusion – source Wikipedia
Ambient occlusion is a shading method used in 3D computer graphics which helps add realism to local reflection models by taking into account attenuation of light due to occlusion. Ambient occlusion attempts to approximate the way light radiates in real life, especially off what are normally considered non-reflective surfaces.
Unlike local methods like Phong shading, ambient occlusion is a global method, meaning the illumination at each point is a function of other geometry in the scene. However, it is a very crude approximation to full global illumination. The soft appearance achieved by ambient occlusion alone is similar to the way an object appears on an overcast day.
Tutorial of Occlusion made simple – http://www.foundation3d.com/index.php?categoryid=39&p2_articleid=47