Last Day of Class – December 9th, 2010
- Turn in Project(Hair Project), Class Review, and Overview
- Final career advice from Johnny B, “Surviving In the Big Bad World” and An Actors Perspective in the Film/Video Industry with Morgan Lee ->IMDb Profile | Man Maid Trailer | The Gray Area Trailer | Wage Slaves (Webisodes) .
Hair Project – Making hair and Animating Hair
- Start November 30th – Start Rendering on Dec 2nd
- Review Hair Animations on Dec 7, 2010
- Project Requirements -> Project Hair Project
Character Animation Project – Walk Cycle
- Animation Due on November 30, 2010
- Start Rendering Projects on November 23rd
- Download files and Models and Scenes from Desktop Images ->Character Modeling and Animation Series Project Files.
- Watch and use as a base of creating your walk cycle Basic Walk Cycle using a robot: ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/Walk.mov
- Biped Walk Cycle Animation: Project Requirements -> PDF
Quiz #4 Notes and Recommended Videos provided on November 2, 2010
- Quiz #4 Notes – 12 principles of Animation -> PDF
- VIDEOS: Character Animation principles
- Quiz #4 will be on Tuesday November 9th, 2010
Extra Credit requirements
- Need Extra Credit? Find a tutorial(online, Magazine, or Book) on Lightwave 3D or Blender. Email or bring in the tutorial so I can review and approve it. Show progress of files during creation, final render(image or animation)
- Renders need to be 720×480 or higher. H.264 MOV/MP4 quicktime movie if animated.
- Up to 15 points can be awarded, per tutorial, depending on quality of final tutorial and showing progress of work.
- Extra credit is to be done outside of normal class time.
- Last Day to ACCEPT extra credit is Dec 2, 2010.
3D Flying Logo – Motion Graphics Project provided on October 12, 2010
- Project Requirements -> PDF
- Working with EPS: ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/LW_9/EPSLoader.mov
- Edges: ftp://ftp.newtek.com/products/LightWave/Trial/Videos/Edges.mov
- 3D text:ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/LW_9/3DText.mov
- Curves: ftp://ftp.newtek.com/products/LightWave/Trial/Videos/Curves.mov
- Speed Boolean: ftp://ftp.newtek.com/products/LightWave/Trial/Videos/speedboolean.mov
Node Editor: ftp://ftp.newtek.com/products/LightWave/Trial/Videos/Node_Edit.avi
Procedural textures: ftp://ftp.newtek.com/products/LightWave/Trial/Videos/2Dtextures.mov
Quiz 3 Notes Provided on Sept 30, 2010 in class
- Quiz 3 notes for Surfacing -> PDF
- Reminder Oct 5th – Research paper and Powerpoint/Keynote presentations due. Review PDF for requirements.
STORYBOARDS DUE/PRESENTATION – Requirements for Next Class
- Have story storyboard(PDF) and EPS file in a folder with your name as the folder name. Student must provide PDF and EPS file. These files will be copied to my laptop computer.
- Present your storyboard concept idea to the class. I will have the projector setup. Tell us what is going to happen during the animation.
- Completed storyboards will be voted on by students. Top 5 storyboards will be the flying logos we create in class for the text group project. Chosen storyboard artist will be the group leader for this project. It will be her or his job to coordinate the project in order to create her or his vision, based on their storyboards. Instructor will assign leaders their working staff next class period.
OVERVIEW OF LIGHTING – Provided on Sept 16, 2010 in class
- Quiz #2 Notes – Lighting Terms -> PDF
- Good tutorial on setting up a 3 point lighting system in Lightwave
- Visual guide of 3 Point Lighting – http://www.3drender.com/light/3point.html
- Lighting Principles
- Global Illumination and Radiosity (optional reading)
- Lighting a scene using High Dynamic Imagery: Understanding HDRI PART 1 | Setting up HDRI settings PART 2 (optional reading)
Homework Assignment – WATCH VIDEO
- Watch VIDEO -> how to model a basic 3D logo from an EPS/Illustrator file. This video will focus on how to model a 3D logo and setup surfaces. Note that all of the edges are straight in this tutorial. In your Logo the edges need to be all rounded/beveled. More tutorials and videos will be provided on making broadcast looking models.
BOUNCING BALL PROJECT – Provided on Sept 9, 2010 in class
- Class Assignment Requirements -> PDF
- Bouncing Ball in-class Group Project – Principles learned: Introduction to Squash and Stretch in Animation, Morph mixer, Particle Emitter, graph editor, Setting up a scene, basic 3 point lighting, basic surfacing, Shadows, Rendering frames, compiling sequence into a movie(After Effects), editing movie in Adobe Premiere(adding sound effects and music).
- Traditional Animation Techniques involved with the project
- Reference Videos for help on Project – Using Endomorphs in Lightwave, Using Particle Emitters to create a Bouncing Ball
- Examples of Bouncing Ball – Video 1,
OVERVIEW OF MODELER & LAYOUT, NOTES, & ASSIGNMENTS – Provided on Sept 7, 2010 in class
- Review of Modeler and Layout -> Modeler Overview Video and Layout Overview Video
- Samples of Storyboards available online -> https://teaching3d.wordpress.com/2010/09/07/storyboards/
- Download PDF ->Assignment: Paper and Powerpoint presentation – Due date: Oct 5, 2010
- Download PDF ->Professional Resources
- Download PDF ->Quiz Notes for Quiz #1
- Download PDF ->Assignment: Flying Logo Storyboard – Due date: Sept 21, 2010
- Storyboard Template ->Download PDF Storyboard_Template
- Storyboard Template Image
Overview of Modeler in Class